- Women can fall for really crappy guys and be totally blinded to reality. I think this is something some women view as "unrealistic" saying that, "Oh, that girl is so much smarter than that" but really, we're finicky creatures. Many of us choose to believe the best of people, and our hearts can be fooled.
- Some guys have really weird fetishes... and it can be totally unattractive. A GREAT trait for an antagonist!
- The guy with the six-pack doesn't always get the girl
- Geeks are, in their own cute way, adorable.
- You can have sexual chemistry with someone... but it still not be "The one." I'm actually using this one in my most current book, so it gave me a lot to think about.
- Just like a good show couldn't stay on the air without a ton of conflict... a good book needs to be staged with as much conflict if not more.
- We all know that the Bachelorette... to a point, is scripted and staged. But aren't our books as well? As much as we want it to be "realistic" sometimes reality, in it's starkness, doesn't sell as well. Watch the Bachelorette bloopers and see what I mean. The Bachelorette (maybe in a different season maybe) belched really loud. Obviously they weren't going to put that in the actual show. Just as some things, while realistic, aren't fit for our books."
- Mean dudes never win. (again... great antagonist personalities...)
- Guy's who can't commit risk losing the girl. Again, one that I'm mulling over using in my book. In my defense, I'd already thought about it before hand, but this new turn of events has caused me to look at the idea with more intrigue.
- And last but not least.... ROMANCE SELLS! We watch the bachelorette to see the happily ever after, or at least to HOPE for it. We let ourselves be fooled by the camera's angle of romance. Which is why, IMHO, there will always be a wide spot for romance on the bookshelves.
Tuesday, July 28, 2009
What I learned from the Bachelorette
Last night was the finale, and tonight is the "after the rose." I tease and say it's "research" but in a way, I DO get some ideas and some fodder from watching it.