I'm doing this for a few reasons. One, for anyone who has never gone, it's an "inside" look on one unpublished authors road to conference. (I've only gone to one so far... but I learned a few "what not to do"'s even that time!) Two, because posting once a week will help me not to procrastinate, at least I hope so. Last year I found myself two weeks before conference with a HUGE amount of stuff undone. I hope to do better this year! And three, you might think of something I forgot. Which, given my memory of late, that could easily happen!
Today we begin with THE LIST.
I am a lover of checklists. I'm also horrible at keeping up with them; however, there are certain times it's a necessity. Like preparing for a conference.
There are so many unknowns, especially if it's your first time or two. (All you newbies SHOULD be enrolled in the ACFW conference newbie e-mail loop... I highly recommend it!) But regardless, it's so easy to forget something. And it's so annoying to have that "OH MY GOSH I FEEL LIKE I'VE FORGOTTEN SOMETHING" feeling too.
So, today, I present to you my list of things to do to prepare. This is a WIP, as I usually add things later as I think about them. And some of you may have already completed items on this list, but here goes mine. Maybe it will spark something for your own list.
- Polish first three chapters of book(s) I intend to pitch*
- Prepare one-sheet for my newest book*
- Update one-sheet for LOL: Mission Jack
- Finalize Agent/Editor Appointments
- Print off list of Editors/Agents attending and review*
- Design and Order updated business cards*
- Go shopping for Banquet Dress*
- Lose a bunch of weight so have a valid excuse to go shopping for the rest of my clothes too
- Buy new luggage (hubby's and I's anniv. present to each other)
- Practice Pitch*
- Find fun stuff to do around Denver (this one is personal... hubby and I are staying over for three days as a anniversary trip)
- Print off all information needed for trip (Flight itinerary, hotel confirmation, rental car confirmation--for after the conference--, maps, ACFW conference schedule)
- E-mail Sample chapters to critiquer for Paid Critique (I didn't do this last year and am REALLY REALLY nervous about it!)
- Make sure I have camera and necessary batteries with me
- Get my hair cut (it needs it badly!)
- Last minute pedicure so I can have pretty toes!
- REMEMBER CELLPHONE AND LAPTOP CHARGERS (I cannot tell you how many times I forget them)
- Finish rough draft of WIP (keeping my fingers crossed that I can do it)
- Clean my house (in-laws are coming to stay with kids while we're gone...)
Okay, I am so forgetting things. I know I am. What do I do with this list? It is going into an excel spreadsheet (I'm a spreadsheet geek...) with a column for "DUE DATE" then will be sorted by date due.
*note* Anything I have a * next to means I plan to devote a "Monday" to this topic, probably during the week I'm devoting to working on that particular item.
Discussion:This is where YOU all come in. What is on your list that is not on mine? Or, can you think of something I'm missing??? If you're not going... then think of me while I scramble to accomplish everything in the next... eight? weeks.