Thursday, March 6, 2008

Verses

I read a really good verse in the Bible last night and thought I would share.

Actually, I read the first chapter of Romans.

First, let me explain why I chose Romans last night. Actually I'll let Barack Obama explain it in his own words: "I don't think it [a same-sex union] should be called marriage, but I think that it is a legal right that they should have that is recognized by the state," said Obama. "If people find that controversial then I would just refer them to the Sermon on the Mount, which I think is, in my mind, for my faith, more central than an obscure passage in Romans."

Now, let me just say... not even touching the topic of same-sex unions, since when did any passage in the book of Roman's become obscure???? Last I knew, the bible (the WHOLE thing) was God's infalible word, so for this.. man... to stand there and say that the sermon on the mount some how justifies his personal viewpoint on same sex unions and that the verse in Romans that directly controdicts his viewpoint is just 'obscure', well, it is just a little too convenient. If the Romans passage is obscure, then maybe the sermon on the mount is as well? We can't pick and choose what parts of the Bible to agree with and disagree. The bible also states that God would rather you be hot or cold, and if you are luke warm, he will spew you out of his mouth. I believe Barack could be classified as 'tepid'.

Needless to same I am NOT a democrat, and I am a hopeless political junkie... so if you disagree.. well, we can agree to disagree right?!?

Back to the verse I was reading. I decided that since Mr. Obama evidently thought Romans was obscure, I would rise above and devote a little time studing those 'obscure' passages.

There were a couple of parts I especially liked. The first was vs 16 and 17, "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek. For in I the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith, as it is written, The just shall live by faith”

That is just a cool verse. But my favorites were a little later, as these related to the book I am writing and confirmed to me that I am on the right path in my writing. They were actually phrases, "Professing to be wise, they became fools". When we think we are so 'wise' or 'smart' we become fools, because we don't realize the limited view or 'wisdom' that we have. In my second book, my character struggled with that in the past. She knew what she wanted out of life and was upset when it didn't seem to be going as she had wanted. She thought she was 'wise' about her future, but her perceived wisdom led her to be a fool and fall into temptation.

The second part I liked was this: "Changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man." I don't think we realize how much we really do this. I know that is true for me anyway. Whenever I question God, or ask him, "What were you thinking!?" or "Why in the world do you let that happen?" or "Why didn't you let this happen?" or "Why hasn't this happened yet?" I am making him into the image of a curruptible man, someone who can have faults and can make mistakes. God is perfect, he is incorruptible. In my book, my character decided that God was not interested in day to day life. She thinks of him as a man sitting on a recliner, watching TV with a beer (or coke..) in his hand, laughing and crying and just enjoying the entertainment of our lives, not really getting involved. This is the image of a man, who is corruptible.

So those are my thoughts for the day for what they are worth. Sorry for getting slightly political, oh, what am i saying! No I'm not!!!! I love debating politics!!

No comments: